Monday, March 7, 2011

Movie Monday: Imagine Me and You

This week, we switch gears just a bit and look at a movie that I stumbled upon a bit randomly last week. I found it because it stars the lovely Matthew Goode (previously mentioned in my review for A Single Man). What makes this movie different from others I've reviewed is that it's about girl love. :)

From IMDB:
Rachel and Heck, long time friends and lovers, finally tie the knot, and during the celebration, Rachel starts a friendship with their florist, Luce. And while Rachel originally intended to match her new friend, Luce, up with her husband's friend, Cooper, she soon finds out that Luce is a lesbian. During the course of their friendship, Rachel starts to question her own sexuality. And though she comes to realize she may have feelings for her new friend, Rachel must decide who she will ultimately find the most happiness with: Heck, her new husband who is also adored by her family, or Luce, who has turned her life and everything she thought she new about love upside down.

I found lots to love about this movie, from the fact that it's Britcom to the lovely surprise of American Piper Perabo doing a very good job of playing a Londoner. The relationship that develops between Rachel and Luce is sweet, but their chance at happiness is offset by the increasing discontent between Rachel and her husband Heck, sympathetically played by Matthew Goode.

The heartbreak for me was knowing how deeply she was loved by her husband - it would have been easier to feel supportive of her getting out of a loveless relationship or a bad situation. On the other hand, this is probably more realistic, to figure yourself out a bit too late and unfortunately hurt someone you love.

The peripheral characters are pretty good - Heck's friend Coop could be easily written off at first, but surprised me in the end. Rachel's little sister H ("They tell me it's short for Henrietta, but it's not. It's actually for Jesus H Christ, which is what my mum said when she found out she was pregnant with me") is awesome and has an adorable hero-worship thing going on with both Luce and Heck.

The movie's not quite perfect, but very enjoyable. I give it 7.5/10.

1 comment:

sunystone said...

This movie looks good! Thanks for the review Katie! I've added it to my Netflix queue! :)